Limiting Toxicity in our homes and environment is something that our population is starting to look at as a huge priority. Minimizing exposure and clearing toxins from your body resets your body’s natural balance and allows it to function and heal at its fullest potential.
The problem is that there isn’t enough education on what toxins are exactly, where they can be found and too many dangerous ingredients are being allowed into our everyday household and personal care products that are causing more harm to our bodies than good.
The average person puts over 500 chemicals onto their bodies every single day, and 60% of what we put onto our bodies gets absorbed into our skin.
Toxic and harmful ingredients surround our everyday lives, they can be found in everything from household cleaners, cook wear, air pollutants, personal care products, plastic containers, over the counter medications, and the food we eat (80% of packaged foods sold in the Canada and the U.S contain chemicals that are banned in other countries).
These ingredients can affect our bodies in different ways, causing Endocrine (hormone disruption), Subluxation in your spine, Allergies, Respiratory issues, Overall function and have been linked to Cancer.
Making changes starts with guidance, education, and lifestyle choices to limit and reduce the toxins that we allow into our homes and bodies.
Here are some of our favorite tips if you are looking to start reducing your toxic exposure for optimal health!
- Choose glass containers to store food, don’t heat in plastic containers as the plastic can melt into your food causing damage to your hormone receptors, increased fatigue and risk for illness and disease.
- Avoid Environmental Endocrine Disruptors (EEDs) these are toxins that can be found in synthetic or artificial fragrance products (perfume, household cleaners, air fresheners, candles) or in your personal care products (makeup, skin care and hair care, lotions), and household cleaning items that can cause overall hormone function, and hormone related cancers; (breast cancer).
- Take care of your body, exercise and routine Chiropractic adjustments can be one of the best ways to detox your body, boost your immune system and detox your body.
- Filter your tap water, opt for whole, organic and natural ingredients, avoid artificial sweeteners, flavors, and food colors, avoid canned or processed foods and added preservatives.
- Indoor air can be two to five times more polluted than outdoor air, opening windows when weather permitted, and investing in some plants are great ways to natural air purifying.
- Most importantly, pay attention to your food labels and ingredient lists on your personal and household items. Look out for things like: Parabens, Sulphites, Fragrance or Parfum, Phthalates, BPA, Chlorine, Radon, Lead, and Pesticides.